1. One more month til Summer and lots to get done. Every year I ask the same thing as many of you: how did it get here so fast? I’m looking forward to all the events of Summer 2013, but I also know there is much to get prepared. We’ve got our ETC Student Camp coming in June. That’s a huge project every year but the investment of time and energy is well worth it. I love to see how God moves in the lives of students and adults during the week. I love being able to see how students grow up from year to year. It’s also wonderful spending a week with the adults that we have come to know and love over the years.
2. After a one week break, we get our week of Camp Creek here at Spring Creek. This is a great time with kids, youth and adults. This will be our 8th year to offer a full day Camp Creek experience to the families of North Harris and South Montgomery county. VBS fills the morning and then we’ll have about 100 kids stay for sports camp in the afternoon. There is nothing like Camp Creek to get your blood flowing, your heart pumping and your legs moving. Oh, did I mention it is exhausting. But well worth it.
3. After one more week we are going on our Border Town Mission Trip to Brownsville, TX. This one week trip is for adults and youth and will include sports camp and a building project. I think it will be good to get back to the border since we haven’t been in about 6 years. If you’re interested in this trip, we’re having an info meeting this Sunday afternoon @ 4:30.
4. So maybe you heard that an NBA player, Jason Collins, announced he was gay, becoming the first NBA player to do so. Lots of news organizations are covering this story and ESPN’s Chris Broussard has started somewhat of a firestorm with his comments made after the announcement. I agree completely with what Chris says and am very happy to hear such a clear, concise statement made supporting fundamental Christian belief. Watch what he said here:
5. The TEBA Golf tournament was yesterday. I played on a team that came in first place! Wow. We shot the best 4 man scramble score of any team I’ve ever played on. Not only did we win, but the second place team was made up of all Spring Creek members: Jay, Matt, Mike Bolen and Jim Murphy. Both of our teams shot a 55 but we won by virtue of a scorecard playoff. We had a great time and TEBA was able to raise a lot of money for church planting.